Hey everyone, I hope you’re doing well and looking forward to Father’s Day. I know I am, even though my dad is no longer with us. He passed away in 2009, but his memory lives on in my heart and mind. Dad was a Navy veteran of the Korean era, a carpenter, and a fan of bowling and fishing. But more than anything, he loved his family. He loved my mom, my brother, and me with all his heart. He was the best Dad I could ever ask for.
He taught me so many things in life, but one of the most important ones was how to be a good husband. He showed me how to love your spouse and family unconditionally, no matter what. He always expressed his affection and appreciation for us in his own ways. He was kind, generous, supportive, and fun. He made us laugh and smile every day. I miss him so much.
Just a few of the things that I remember about him are:
- He served in the Navy for four years during the Korean War. He was proud of his service, but he never bragged, and like most men from his generation, he didn’t speak of it often, but he did occasionally share some great, funny stories.
- After the Navy he worked as a carpenter for most of his life. He built our house from scratch and was always fixing things around the house.
- He was also a cabinet maker and made some beautiful furniture and toys for us.
- He loved bowling and fishing. He was part of a bowling league with his friends, and he often took us fishing on weekends. He taught us how to cast a line and reel in a fish. He always had a good time with his hobbies.
- He loved his family more than anything. He met my mom while he was still in the Navy, and they were married for over 50 years. They were inseparable and always showed each other respect and affection. He was a great father to me and my brother. He always supported us in our dreams and encouraged us to do our best. He was always there for us when we needed him.
If your dad is still with you, please cherish every moment you have with him. Give him a hug, tell him you love him, thank him for everything he’s done for you, and forgive him if he’s made any mistakes. We only get one Dad in this life, and I was lucky enough to have the best one of them all.
Happy Heavenly Father’s Day Dad!